Ho’oponopono (Ho-Oh Pono-Pono) is an ancient Hawaiian transformation and healing technique of letting go of past issues that are preventing you from living your life to the fullest. Ho’oponopono is a self-help tool that removes toxic, self-limiting beliefs, doubts, and fears from your mind. It does so by replacing those thoughts with feelings of faith, trust, and love.
Ho’oponopono roughly translated means – “to make right”, “to correct.” The message of Ho’oponopono is simply to: Take 100% responsibility for everything, every experience that comes into your life. This experience can come in the form of an action you have taken. It could be something you did in the past or present, or a problem someone shares with you.
Sometimes it can be something that you see that evokes a negative emotion in you. If you experience a negative feeling about anything in your life, it is an opportunity to practice Ho’oponopono. It is a chance to clean that event from your life by using the simple act of forgiveness and gratitude by repeating the simple Ho’oponopono Mantra:
I love you.
I am sorry.
Please forgive me.
When to use the Short Form Ho’oponopono Mantra
- All the time – Just do it walking down the street, clean the day ahead of you.
- When you find yourself thinking negative thoughts.
- When you see something that makes you feel bad, sad, doubt, or fear.
- When you watch the news.
- When you think, people around are behaving badly.
- If someone hits you with random gossip (hey it happens, you say “hello” and boom! Gossip.)
- Before you go to sleep.
“The main purpose of this process is to discover the Divinity within oneself. The Ho’oponopono is a profound gift that allows one to develop a working relationship with the Divinity within and learn to ask that in each moment, our errors in thought, word, deed or action be cleansed. The process is essentially about freedom, complete freedom from the past.” – Morrnah Simeona (1913 – 1992)
Karmic Cleansing Prayer
Repeat four times
Spirit, Superconscious, please locate the origin of my feelings, beliefs, thought of ______________________________.
Take each and every level, layer, area, and aspect of my being to this origin.
Analyze it and resolve it perfectly with God’s truth.
Come through all generations of time and eternity.
Healing every incident and its appendages based on the origins.
Please do it according to God’s will until:
• I am at the present
• Filled with light and truth
• God’s peace and love
• Forgiveness of myself for my incorrect perceptions
• Forgiveness of every person, place, circumstances, and events, which contributed to this, and those feelings, beliefs, and thoughts.
Ho’oponopono in its basic form is used to clean your past and your present, keep your mind clear of the negativity holding you back leaving it free and open to positive influences from the Divine.
When to Use Ho’oponopono Long Form Mantra
- When you feel anxiety about a situation or a person.
- When you are afraid, fear of success, change, or a thing.
- When you need help overcoming limiting beliefs.
- When you feel that things in your past are holding you back, and you need to release that memory.
- When it is time to let go of an experience.
Here is an excerpt from Ho’oponopono Secrets by Paul Jackson. As a student of Ho’oponopono, this is one of the clearest and most succinct definitions of what Ho’oponopono is I have come across.
“Ho’oponopono is an extremely simple, transformative, and healing process that is used by individuals to solve problems in their lives. The technique is used to clear, heal, and open the mind, freeing the practitioner from negative memories and unconscious programmes.”
I like to call it the “Karma Cruncher.”
It is based on the principle that each of us carries with us many lifetimes of karmic debt and other negative emotional baggage in the form of conscious, but mainly unconscious memories. It is to these memories that the subconscious mind turns to when making its decisions and judgments, and it is these memories that create the reality and circumstances we see around us in our lives.
By employing the Ho’oponopono technique to petition a higher spiritual power individuals can resolve these issues. Freeing them to live the rest of their time on earth empowered, living lives guided by inspiration, not fear, and guilt.
The petition is carried out in the form of a mantra and is a personal request for forgiveness to God, The Source, Universal Mind, The Void, Divine Intelligence, Universal Consciousness (whatever you choose to call it), for reconciliation and forgiveness for past actions and deeds.
By acknowledging and accepting responsibility for our past actions, we are able to free ourselves of their effects. The more you clean the more you free yourself to follow your true path and reach your full potential.
The ultimate aim of the Ho’oponopono Practitioner is to erase (clean) his/her subconscious mind to reach a State of Zero. In this state, which Dr. Hew Len calls “Zero Limits” – we are limitless, memory free, resistant free, and open to inspirational thoughts flowing down from Divine Intelligence through our super-conscious minds. Our goal is to negate our past actions through repentance and clean any conscious or subconscious resistance (blocks) we might have to new ideas, possibilities and paths.“
The simplicity and effectiveness of Ho’oponopono changed my life. As a self-help/personal development blogger and writer, I know that getting to the root of fear, doubt, and self-limiting beliefs is the key to lasting change.
Standard convention dictated that it would take hard work and effort, and then I found Ho’oponopono. It threw me for a loop because following the principles, all I had to do was clean, say my mantra, or use the long form prayer to clean my past and current issues. Once done, all I needed to do was follow the Divine Guidance that came in the form of hunches, ideas, and inspiration.
I have to tell you Ho’oponopono has done wonders in my life. I take responsibility for everything in my life, because if I notice it, and it affects me negatively then the situation, person, or thing has presented itself for me to clean.
Biggest Reminder/Takeaway about Ho’oponopono
- You are not asking Divinity to forgive you or the person or the situation you are faced with, with Ho’oponopono, you are learning to forgive yourself with the help of the Divine.
- With Ho’oponopono you are cleaning your past, your present, and your future, by letting go and operating from a baggage free zone. A place Joe Vitale and Dr. Hew Len call the main objective of Ho’oponopono, the state of Zero, a place where we have zero limits. No memories. No identity.
- Don’t overthink it, just clean. You will find yourself in a state of bliss in five minutes. Walking down the street, people smile at you and greet you.
- The shift in your energy vibration is so powerful that random people will notice.
- Follow your hunches, listen to that little voice in your head, do something.
- Just sit back and watch with amazement how things happen in your life.
So to end this, I say, I love you. I am sorry. Please forgive me. Thank you.
Check out this Ho’onoponopono article by Psychology Today.
Check out the following books on Ho’oponopono